It might seem pretty clear – one car crashes into another and people get hurt. But there are a lot of moving pieces when cars collide, both literally and figuratively. In addition to getting medical attention, victims need to know how to recover the costs of that care as well as any other damages suffered. The best choice is to talk over the accident with a qualified personal injury attorney so your rights are protected and you recover every penny you deserve.
There are a lot of things to figure out when you are in an accident, and having a little bit of knowledge about car accident cases can help you protect yourself if you are in a collision. Five things everyone should know about car crashes are:
- Do not admit fault or say you are sorry. The police officer on the scene will make an assessment of how the accident happened and write a report. Be polite to others involved and to the officer, but do not say that you think you caused the accident.
- If possible, move to a safe spot and take lots of photos of the vehicle and other damage. You should take photos of the area and of any personal injuries that are readily visible.
- Get witnesses contact information at the accident scene. Often times, witnesses will leave the scene without the police or others recording who they are or what they observed.
- Allow a doctor to examine you and make a determination as to the extent of your injuries. Be sure to give a full report of any pain you feel when the doctor examines you, because things you might dismiss as insignificant can actually lead to more harm if left untreated.
- Follow the doctor’s orders regarding therapy and follow up visits. Some injuries take days or weeks to manifest so it is critical to keep your follow up appointment and let the doctor decide if you have additional injuries.
- Call an attorney for help.
You are on a timeline to file a case, and even if you are able to resolve your issues without filing a lawsuit you still need to act fast. Memories tend to fade over time and the faster you get a witness statement the more likely it is that the statement will be detailed and accurate. We seek the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to, and want to help you get back on your feet as quickly as possible.
If you have been in an accident, call the attorneys at Yetnikoff Law Offices, PLLC for help. Call us at 800-279-6331 or visit us online for more information.